The most important step we skip when detoxifying.
Most of us have done it. Tried to follow a detox “diet” or used a supplement someone recommended at the health food store to detox our liver. Many of those things are just marketing products that don't really do much other then make us regret spending $50 plus on it. I will attempt to give you some information that will give you better results and clear your body of toxins NATURALLY!
But before I go into a sample detox protocol I give to patients (that will be part 2 of this blog) I want to share with you something that is commonly over looked and make us feel crapy while going through a detox plan. You know the feeling:
- On edge
And the list goes on and on. Some say that it’s normal but I have noticed that whenever someone goes through a detox and does not have their channels of elimination open, they have a horrible time during their detox.
By channels of elimination I mean the ways our body rids of toxins. Yes, your body detoxifies on a regular basis and not only when you are taking a Colon Cleanse supplement. The purpose of a detox is to move toxins out of the body BUT if they cannot exit, then those same toxins will be floating around your body making you feel cranky and affecting your health.
So prior to starting a detox regiment, we need to ensure our channels of elimination are open in order to get the most out of it.
Lets go through them:
- Kidneys are the organs that get rid of toxins through the urine. By drinking plenty of CLEAN water (not tap or regular filtered water) we will be able to excrete toxins and waste products much more effectively. I aim to drink 2-3 liters a day.
- Lungs are another way to get rid of toxins. Did you know that they clear 1-2lbs of toxins DAILY? Your lungs are like windows in your apartment or home. You open them up and you get fresh air coming in while the stagnant air exits. Deep breathing is a great way to keep that channel of elimination open as is yoga and exercise. In with the good…out with the bad!
- Skin is the largest organ in the body. It clears about 2lbs of toxins per day… I know right? I love using infrared saunas to sweat it out. Plus inferred saunas mobilize toxins (like heavy metals, PCBs, pesticides and other chemicals) out of the fats cells where they like to hang out. This is one of the reasons many can’t loose those last 10lbs. That fat stays there to protect them from those toxins so starting a detox regiment will help!
- Bowel movements are also important. Yeah I know, pooping is not the best topic to discuss BUT it is necessary to have daily visits with the toilet bowl in order to rid of toxins. Drinking plenty of water and having high fiber meals will help get things moving.
- Mind. The most commonly overlooked part in medicine. Recently doctors have been finding that what goes on in-between our ears affects us physically. I explain to my patients, if you have negative thoughts they will create this chemical soup in their body that robs them from health and vitality. In Chinese Medicine too much of a certain emotion can injure (cause dysfunction) to a specific organ. Ex. Anger and irritability will affect the Liver. Over worrying will effect digestion. My solution to this is to be around people that are positive and happy. I’ll end this with a saying I heard the other day: “You can’t change the people around you but you can change the people around you!”
For more information visit our website and schedule an appointment with one of our practitioners so we can optimize your body’s function, move, feel & look better!
Written by Dimitri Boules LAc, LMT, CPE, CPT